500 Club (7/7/11)
It’s monsoon season here in the desert parking lot. I often find ideas happen like summer storms. You can feel them looming in the distance and before you know it, you’re swallowed inside a wall of dust followed by a torrential down pour that could last fifteen minutes or all night long. This weeks prompts should help those idea storms along.
Before we hit this week’s prompts, lets take a refresher on the rules.
- Write 500 words based on one of the two prompts below.
- Post it to your blog. No blog? Paste it in the text box in the side widget, conveniently labeled “500 Club”.
- Give us a small taste in the comments below along with a link to the full text.
Now let’s get to this week’s mental monsoons:
1. Often you smell the dust and ozone before a storm hits. Write 500 words where a scent triggers a string of events.
2. A desert thunder storm puts on an impressive light show in exchange for the power being knocked out for a span. Write 500 words “after the lights go out.” It doesn’t have to be caused by a storm, but it does have to keep the tension of whatever’s to come.