500 Club (1/19)
Happy Thursday, y’all! It’s time to write some flash with the 500 Club!
How do you play? Here’s the rules.
- Choose one of the prompts below. (or get crazy and do both)
- On your blog, write a 500-word story or scene based on the prompt.
- Post the first line or two of your story in the comments below with a link to the rest.
Here are today’s prompts:
1. Alien Invasion. They’re here, and they’re not what you would think. Twins? Cats? Cars? Only our narrator knows the truth (or does (s)he)?
2. Go pull one of your favorite books off the shelf. Flip around and blindly pluck out five lines at random. Write a flash fiction inspired by at least one of the lines.
Here are my lines, chosen at random from The Graveyard Book
Bod had never walked anywhere as a sightseer before.
He was going to have to fall straight down, he decided, onto the steps, and he would just hope that the ghouls wouldn’t notice that he was making a break for it in their desperation to be home and safe.
Mrs. Owens said simply, “I cannot. My bones are here. And so are Owen’s. I’m never leaving.”
“I wanted to go to Acadia Avenue.”
“First we put you somewhere safe. Then we deal with them.”